Saturday, February 18, 2012

Would you give up the opportunity to be the first woman of color in space in order to homeschool your children?

Here's an eyewitness account of Ms. Jackson's testimony in Leeper vs. Arlington Independent School District, the 1985 court case that established homeschool freedom in Texas:
Attorney: "Where did you work?"

Ms. Jackson: "In Houston." She was brief, determined not to reveal her surprise until the last moment.

Attorney: "Where in Houston?"

Ms. Jackson: "At NASA."

Attorney: "What did you do at NASA?" At this point he smiled indulgently, as if wondering if she worked in the restaurant or in housekeeping. This was the opportunity she had patiently waited for.

Ms. Jackson: "Well, you see, I am a John’s Hopkins University astronautic electronics engineer. At NASA, I was promoted to be the first black woman in space when I discovered that my oldest son was developing serious emotional symptoms and needed me more than NASA did. So I returned to teach him at home. And he is doing very well." 

No comments:

Post a Comment